Seeding 2.0
A few weeks ago, we attempted to put down grass seed on our post-construction property. I researched what landscapers use for new construction lawns - besides pre-grown sod or must-mow-every-week (and water all summer) lawns. I ordered native prairie grass seed. I bought "tackified" straw, purported to create a woven "glued together" mat once wetted which would hold down seed against seed-eating birds and wind. Oh. You noticed that I said "purported". It didn't work. Once the tackified straw dried, the first breeze blew it away (a Montana "breeze" is more like a strong wind to my New Englander friends).
Anyway, back to the drawing board I went to find a better option...one that could be nailed down.
I ordered more native prairie grass - to replace what blew away. I ordered 112 foot rolls of erosion control mat. AND, to make sure this round stays put, I bought a case of wood spikes!
As every project goes, the first one of whatever you're doing always takes the longest. So my Sunday project was to get the first roll done. Rake the soil (loosen it up), spread the seed, unroll the mat, nail it down. It took me about five hours to get the first one done. The "breeze" kicked up at some point so I spent a lot of time hunched over spreading the seed from about an inch above the ground. While the air movement was nice, the work was pretty tiring. BUT, I got the roll finished.
One down, at least seven more to go. (I ordered eight rolls to get be started.)
Comments