One Week Down

The drive from Oklahoma to Arizona was long, but interesting.  I encountered dramatic storms, construction traffic, and an ever-changing climate and terrain.


On Thursday, I crossed the border from New Mexico into Arizona.  Once I crossed the state line, I spotted my first saguaro cactus which dots the roadside like pine trees in the northeast.


I checked into my hotel and parked the car/trailer so I could settle in for a couple of days in Tempe.  Patrick and Amelia picked me up so we could go get some dinner.

On Friday morning, we met as early as we could muster to unload the trailer before the stifling Arizona heat could make such work intolerable.  I unloaded the trailer and moved boxes to the bottom of the stairs and Patrick lugged everything to his third floor apartment.  Amelia pitched in where she could, but those boxes were packed pretty heavy, and some of them were large and/or awkward.

With the back of the car empty and the trailer emptied of everything except the motorcycle, we started to look for a way to get the bike down to the ground.  Even with a very low deck, the trailer was just a little too high to just drop the bike to the ground.  While we had been unloading, another moving truck pulled in to move someone into another apartment.  They offered their help "for a fee" and we had a good laugh, but when they saw us discussing options for the motorcycle they offered again.  We asked if they had a ramp and sure enough they did!  They brought it over and the three of them rolled the bike right out of the trailer.  Mission accomplished.  We thanked them with a cash tip and a handshake and I took the trailer around the corner to return it. (The U-haul station was literally right next door.)

Patrick's stuff is now in his apartment which is now dominated by bikes, motorcycle gear, and guitars (and a few more clothes).

Once the work was done, we each went to our places for showers and fresh clothes and then reconvened to take care of some things that Patrick wanted some help with while I was in town.  For lunch, we stopped at Santa Madre Taco Shop.  I thought a lunch place called Blessed Mother was a good way to celebrate the successful cross-country journey of his mother with the rest of his belongings.  (Although I'm guessing I was not the Blessed Mother they had in mind when they named the shop. :D)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How quickly it turns.

Surprise!

Calm after the storm