Calm after the storm

For weeks (actually months) we have been sorting, packing, pitching, selling, and pitching some more.  For the last two days those efforts were kicked into high gear as the movers arrived to load all that hard work into their truck and haul it away.  Once they were gone and the house was clean and the car loaded with stuff we need for the winter, and our final farewell was said, the urgency of the day was past.  That constant driving to fill one more dumpster, load one more box, or say good bye to one more friend lifted like a fog when the sun rises.

Today, Katherine and I had a truly leisurely start to the day.  Eventually, I went out to run some final errands, fill the car with gas, and buy a little driving food.  As I drove around town I realized that I felt oddly disconnected.  These roads, the buildings, the views as I drove around town were very familiar yet somehow they feel foreign to me now.  "My" church is now just a building.  The people in it are and always will be my "church family" but the building?  "My" road is now just a street with the name River Cove Rd on it.  And "my" grocery store is just another market.  I have walked this isle hundreds of times over the years and yet today it feels unfamiliar.

Tomorrow morning Katherine and I will begin the actual journey west.  The boxes and furniture will arrive in Montana next week some time.  The farewells are said.  The house is ready for the closing.  The next big adventure of the Mellmann family is in full swing now!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How quickly it turns.

Surprise!