A New Space

Almost thirteen years ago we moved into our newly built house and began settling into all the grand new spaces.  We filled the kitchen with new dishes, pots and pans, and all the tools needed to feed and entertain family and friends.  We brought in new furniture and several pieces of the old, and organized things based on how we expected to use the space.

One room has taken different forms over these twelve years.  First, it was a playroom lined with shelves filled with books, tubs of toys, and lots of Playmobil.  Eventually, the books took over and the Playmobil was put into longterm storage for...the next generation.  Books lined the shelves for a long time but, eventually, they started to give way to music and instruments.

Alas, now even the music is ready to be replaced.  Patrick's musical days have transitioned from drumming and guitars and contrabass and...to mostly guitar (with a little drumming on occasion).  And the shelves full of old sheet music for choirs, ensembles, solos, instruments, and piano have been cleared to make room for something new.   Music still happens here, but we have thinned the sheet music inventory to our true "favorites".


Now, the playroom turned library turned music room has taken on a new mantle.  Enter the era of Sewing Room.  The wall-to-wall shelves have be reduced to one shelf filled with musical items.  In their place is a sewing cabinet, cutting table, and dress form brought out of the depths of our basement into their new bright and homey space.  I had to do some scrubbing to get the cement dust (which is sticky and unsightly) off the cutting table, but everything fit quite perfectly.


For my first project (it's been a couple of years since I sewed my last garment) in my new space, I made a skirt for myself.  I figured if I could make a skirt that fits me, making some for Katherine would be much easier.  She needs a fresh batch of skirts for school.  The old ones, some of which she has been wearing for three or four years, are too short, and in that time her color and style preferences have changed.  We tried buying some "maxi skirts" for her, but the "girl" sizes are too short and the "junior" sizes are too big in the waist.  Thus the desire to start sewing again.




Mission accomplished!  Time to find a good pattern for Katherine's teenager form.  It's either that or I'll use the pattern I have for girls' skirts and see if I can enlarge it in the right places for a perfect fit for my favorite daughter.  Good thing we have a snow day today.  Maybe I can get started on it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How quickly it turns.

Surprise!

Calm after the storm