Happy Mother's Day

Celebrating motherhood has roots dating back to the ancient Greeks and Romans.  A more modern form of Mother’s Day appears in the early Christian festival known as “Mothering Sunday”, a once major tradition in the United Kingdom and parts of Europe (according to the History Channel).  It was a time when the faithful would return to their “mother church” (their “home” church) for a special service.

Another…version…of Mother’s Day took form in the 19th century, before the Civil War, when Ann Reeves Jarvis helped to create Mothers’ Day Work Clubs to teach local women how to properly care for their children.  After the war, these clubs helped to bridge the divided country.  In 1868 Jarvis organized “Mothers’ Friendship Day,” at which mothers gathered with former Union and Confederate soldiers to promote reconciliation.

The Mother’s Day tradition that we recognize today most likely owes its genesis to Anna Jarvis, daughter of Ann Reeves Jarvis, who championed a day set aside to honor the sacrifices mothers made for their children.

Unlike a growing number of my friends,  I still get to celebrate Mother's Day with the real deal - not a memory ("Is it real, or is it Memorex?!"...ohh, I think I just dated myself there.).  In fact, while neither of them lives particularly close to Vermont they are both a simple phone call away; a real blessing.  And, unlike a growing number of my friends, I also get to celebrate Mother's Day with all of my children around me.  The significance of this abundance is not lost on me on this cool May day.  I realize that in the not-so-distant future my nestlings will fledge and fly away - one of them will literally fly away.  In the meantime, I will enjoy talking to my mom on the phone and having dinner out with my kids.  And I will hope for the same next year, and for as many more Mother's Days as I can get.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How quickly it turns.

Surprise!

Calm after the storm