An Original Work

A few years ago I purchased a piece of software that would allow me to write and print music that I could use for the elementary music classes and beginner hand chimes at school.  About a year ago, Patrick started to tinker with that software and began creating original works.  As he experimented with sound, volume, rhythm, and technique, his music has become more and more organized, and a bit more polished.

Tonight, we had the privilege of hearing one of his pieces performed by the high school orchestra (they call themselves a string ensemble) in a neighboring town (Mount Mansfield Union High School).

Here it is, an original work by Patrick Mellmann.  "Trout"

Here is what they wrote in the program:

"The composer realizes that the name "Trout" is rather strange. He did not want the name to give any preconceived notions as to the theme of the song. He says, "I wanted the music to "speak" for itself. When I name my music I take the first object I see after finishing the piece and use that as the name. In this case, I saw a picture of my friend, who had just caught a trout, on Instagram." His other pieces include titles such as "Red Pen", "Leather", and "Coffee Table"... He then says, "I wish I was kidding, but I don't want the name o the music to cloud the judgment and the identity of the music itself."

Patrick Mellmann is a student just like all the performers on stage. He takes classes and has a family life. He participates in various extracurricular activities and has relationships to maintain. He states, "All of these things can create stress. Everybody deals with stress in different ways, but for me, for as long as I've been musical, it's been music. Writing music to me is a way of dealing with stress. Writing out whatever melody is stuck in my head relieves the "pressure" built up throughout the day. Music is something that I simply cannot live without and I hope I never have to."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How quickly it turns.

Surprise!

Calm after the storm